Friday, July 17, 2009

Homemade Granola

Tired of paying steep prices for a small amount of so-so tasting granola, last weekend I decided to make my own version.  I had never attempted to make my own, but I figured it couldn't be very difficult.

I was correct.  In it spicy, sweet aroma.  In fact, the most difficult part of the whole process was not eating the entire batch straight from the oven.

It quickly became a new favorite; this morning I will be making the third batch in less than a week.  I know not everyone is a fan of granola, but this recipe might just convert you.

Allie's Homemade Granola
2 cups Quaker Old-Fashioned Oats
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Unroasted almonds
Coarse salt
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Splash of pure vanilla extract
Raisins

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

1.  Place oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, almonds and a pinch of coarse salt in mixing bowl.  Stir to combine.

2. Pour honey into a small, microwave safe bowl.  Warm in microwave until no longer viscous, about 20 to 30 seconds.  Add olive oil and vanilla to honey; stir.

3. Pour liquid mixture over dry ingredients.  Using your hands, mix together, ensuring the liquid is evenly distributed.

4. Distribute granola on a parchment-lined 9" x 13" baking tray.  Bake until fragrant and golden, about 20 to 25 minutes.  Be sure to stir granola a few times during baking.

5.  Add raisins and allow granola to reach room temperature.  Immediately place in air-tight container.

1 comment:

  1. [...] it is one that I developed by myself, using some proportions from my basic granola recipe and some ingredient inspiration from a newly developed granola during my [...]

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs