Friday, April 22, 2011

Baked Eggs with Pancetta and Basil

DSC_0125

Saturday mornings are my favorite time of the week. My eyes lazily open to the sun brightly peaking through the wooden blinds and I pull my fluffy down comforter up to my chin. Whoever gives up their ground on the bed first is silently required to put on the first pot of coffee for the day, which sputters and fills the apartment with its scent, usually stirring the other from sleep. We slowly migrate to the living room, where we sink down into the soft leather couch, cup of coffee in hand, and relax a few sips longer.

Breakfast is a distant thought, as I will my coffee to last a little longer to keep me from facing a sparsely stocked fridge, destructed by the hectic lives of two working adults. Around 11 am, when my stomach starts voicing its displeasure about not being fed, I am forced to start the conversation, "What would you like for breakfast?" I shuffle to the refrigerator to take stock of our options. It is a good start to the day when there are both fresh eggs and whole milk awaiting me - pancakes it is! - but that was not the case last weekend. A mish-mash of items greeted me: eggs, pancetta, leftover red sauce, and more basil than I knew what to do with.  A torn loaf of semolina bread rested on the cool granite counter and my eye caught the flash of extra oranges, leftover from a baking project forgotten during a busy week.

I warm the oven, crisp the thin pancetta rounds in a hot skillet, then warm the red sauce in a bit of the residual pancetta fat. I haphazardly layer the components in two individual cast-iron bakers, crack two eggs over each, and sprinkle with a pinch of coarsely-ground pepper. As these bake and the griddle heats, I half the oranges and release their juices. Uneven slices of semolina cook on the griddle. The baked eggs emerge from the oven, the whites just barely set to ensure a delicious, runny yolk. I instruct Mike how to chiffonade the fresh basil to scatter over the eggs, as I pull the grill-marked bread from the heat.

Breakfast is served.


DSC_0073DSC_0084DSC_0076DSC_0096DSC_0115_0118

DSC_0103_0104DSC_0105_0106DSC_0109DSC_0087_0088DSC_0110DSC_0098_0099DSC_0101_0123

Baked Eggs with Pancetta and Basil
serves 2

I love the versatility of this recipe - once you achieve the perfect baking time for your eggs, the ingredient combinations are endless. On this particular morning, I uncharacteristically had no Italian cheese on hand and I would have welcomed its addition. Thick-cut bacon or spicy sausage would be equally as good or, as a vegetarian option, hearty vegetables such as eggplant and peppers would be a perfect choice.

Ingredients
2 ounces thinly-sliced pancetta
Red sauce
4 large eggs
Fresh basil leaves
Sea salt & freshly-ground pepper
Grilled bread, for serving

Preparation Instructions
Preheat oven to 350°F. Over medium-high heat, cook pancetta in a single layer until crisp. Place cooked pancetta on paper-towel lined plate to remove excess fat; wipe skillet until only a thin layer of drippings coats the pan. Warm red sauce over medium heat.

Spoon sauce into individual cast-iron bakers, then crumble pancetta evenly between the bakers. Crack two eggs into each baker and season with salt and pepper. Bake until whites are just barely set, about 12 to 14 minutes. Chiffonade basil into thin strips and scatter over baked eggs. Serve immediately with grilled bread.

2 comments:

  1. You are just like your father-able to rummage the fridge and cupboards and create something awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make everything sound easy and the photos make it look delcious.
    I would drop in any time and eat your leftovers.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs